Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I tried a dessert called "Death by Chocolate", but it only made me stronger.

Right, so I know I was gone for two weeks. I don't know if anyone truly cares what I was doing, but regardless, I'll get to that later. What I must write about immediately is a delightful treat called Better than Brownie cookies. I found this on Brown Eyed Baker and decided to try it out tonight. My friends, they are better than brownies. They are better than free itunes cards at starbucks. They are better than arm scratching, finding both socks in the dryer, a new haircut, or a pedicure with paraffin wax. Honestly I've never had something so remarkable. I have to share this with the world, it would be a tragedy not to. Warning: These cookies are not for the faint of heart or for the fair-weather chocolate fan.

Here's the recipe.

Better-than-Brownies Chocolate Cookies

Makes 24 large cookies

2 2/3 cups (about 16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper of a silicone baking mat.

2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and smooth.

3. In the meantime, stir together the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.

4. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.

5. Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine well. Slowly add the dry ingredients, folding them into the batter. Once all of the flour is incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips.

6. Scoop 1½ tablespoons of dough (a medium cookie scoop’s worth) onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are firm on the outside. Like brownies, do not overbake! Leave to cool completely on the baking sheets.


I do want to include a picture but to be honest, it's almost a crime to do so because these pictures give the cookies absolutely no justice for their glory. In any case, here they are:



Note the delicious glisten of melted chocolate bit.

Special thanks to Joe who provided the beautiful hand modeling and cookie breaking, and who is constantly my partner in crime in the search for the perfect treat.

Bakers note: I used all Ghirardelli chocolate. Not sure if that added to the majestic nature of the cookie, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Get serious and get the good stuff folks.

Chocolate coma to commence...now.

5 comments:

  1. better than super fudgies? Also, I've never met anything better than arm scratching. So no, i don't even believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks aaaaahhhhhhh-mazing!!!!!! especially after your comments! super excited to try 'em!

    hope your trip went well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hanging out tonight and I have to take a treat. I think i'm going to try these. I will let you know what happens and give you a shout out too.

    ReplyDelete