Saturday, July 11, 2009

Giving FGF a run for it's money


My favorite restaurant in Tallahassee is hands down Food Glorious Food.  From it's happy hour (1/2 martinis and free chips? Yes please), main dishes, and most especially desserts, it's almost always my restaurant of choice.  Their salmon and potato with chive sour cream has been a favorite of mine for a long time, so today I thought about trying to make it for myself.  It was no easy task because of all the different parts and ingredients, but the result was well worth the work.  If you have enough time on your hands, this is a great meal!

You'll need (for 6 servings):
6 oz cream cheese, room temp
2 tbsp fresh dill
1 tbsp of lemon juice
6 8'' flour tortillas
6 potatoes (boiled)
12 oz smoked salmon
salt and pepper
scallions 
sour cream w/ chives (simply mix in fresh chives with the sour cream)
salsa (for this, I diced 4 tomatoes, 1/4 c. onion, and added in the salsa mix you can get at the store in the produce section...cuttin corners)
shredded lettuce

You'll want to start out by making your salsa and sour cream.  You can do this while you boil the potatoes (should take about 20 minutes).  Put the salsa and sour cream in fridge to chill.
In electric mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, dill, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Mix until smooth and well blended.  Set aside.
In a 10'' non-stick skillet, warm each tortilla over low heat until each side is lightly browned.  Now is the fun part...putting to all together! Spread the creme cheese mixture over the entire tortilla.  Arrange the smoked salmon and potatoes over half the tortilla, and fold the other side over to make your quesadilla.  Split into 4 parts.
Arrange quesadillas on top of shredded lettuce with the salsa on top.  Add your chive sour cream on top (or on the side)

Conclusion: Super great but it would be difficult to make for a large group of people.  It just takes forever to dice tomatoes, onion, dill, chives, shred lettuce....you get it.  I loved using the dill and chives from my herb garden to make this...so organic.  I am sneakily happy that I was able to develop a recipe that so well imitates FGF's!  Now if only I could find the secret to making Mom's Marble cake from FGF...life would be perfect.


ps - so glad the Ely's enjoyed the Marshmallow milkshake! I wonder if you gave any to Caroline or Pete...

No comments:

Post a Comment